Red Cliff Band of Chippewa, Red Cliff, Wisconsin, Fisheries Technician
JOB SUMMARY: Work at the direction of the Treaty Natural Resources Division (TNR) to complete all aspects of fisheries assessments on Lake Superior and the connected waters on the Red Cliff Reservation. Conduct monitoring of commercial fishing activities onboard commercial vessels, on the ice, and dockside in cooperation with partner agencies. Maintain fisheries equipment, keep detailed records, and process laboratory samples.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Schedule monitoring events with Red Cliff commercial fishers and partner agencies.
2. Conduct monitoring of commercial fishing activities onboard commercial vessels, on the ice, and dockside in cooperation with partner agencies.
3. Assist the TNR with assessments of Lake Superior fishes onboard 20-foot and 40-foot research vessels.
4. Assist the TNR with assessments of fishes in the tributaries within the Red Cliff Reservation.
5. Develop and execute proper maintenance protocols and work with approved vendors to keep TNR equipment in excellent working condition.
6. Keep detailed records and enter records in electronic databases.
7. Work with TNR staff and approved vendors for purchasing equipment, services, and supplies for the TNR.
8. Process laboratory samples such as fish aging structures.
9. Attend meetings, trainings, and complete reports at the direction of TNR staff.
10. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
1. A bachelor’s degree in Fisheries Biology or related field is preferred. Applicants without a preferred degree will require a minimum of two years’ experience in fisheries work or a closely related discipline to receive consideration.
2. The applicant must be able to follow oral and written instructions, make informed decisions independently, and always follow proper safety protocols for both the fish and staff members.
3. Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Consent to Release Liability and Reference Information Form; available on the Tribal website.
4. Cover letter, optional.
5. Resume, required.
6. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
POSTING DATE: January 19, 2022
DEADLINE: February 2, 2022 @ 4:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
Human Resources Department
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
Click HERE for all of the details.
MN Dept Nat’l Resources, Duluth, MN
Assistant Area Fisheries Supervisor – NR Spec Int Fisheries State of Minnesota Duluth
We would like to invite you to visit our careers site to complete your application.
Click HERE for all of the relevant details.
1. Select the link to access our careers site.
2. Sign In to access your account or if you are not an existing user select the New User link to create one.
3. Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) is searching for an AIS specialist to work with the Illinois Natural History Survey to develop, direct, and assess the effectiveness of outreach and engagement activities for various stakeholders needing scientific information on Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) affecting Lake Michigan and the inland waters of Illinois and Indiana, as well as conduct social science research to help guide outreach efforts. Master’s degree—PhD preferred—related to subject matter emphasis and relevant experience are required. To view the complete job description and apply, visit the listing on the Illinois Extension website. Closing date is January 28, 2022.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
University of Illinois is an equal access/equal opportunity university. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply. For more on Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant’s commitment to inclusion, please see our values statement.
- Contribute in the area of outreach and engagement in the service of INHS (Illinois Natural History Survey), PRI (Prairie Research Institute), IISG (Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant), the University, and the states of Illinois and Indiana.
- Seek and secure external funding to maintain a robust outreach and research program.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of the AIS outreach program.
- Develop and deliver a variety of science-based outreach tools regarding aquatic invasive species (AIS) to address the needs of a wide range of stakeholders in Illinois, Indiana, and the wider Great Lakes region.
- Ensure that programming addresses the diversity of stakeholders
- Present outreach findings and activities in peer-reviewed literature and at conferences and meetings.
- Maintain strong working relationships within Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG).
- Develop new and maintain existing partnerships throughout the Great Lakes region.
- Represent the Survey, PRI, IISG, and the University of Illinois on committees by serving on local, state, regional, and federal committees.
- Conduct social science research that informs programmatic outreach activities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the AIS program’s outreach activities.
- Develop research collaborations with partners from agencies, non-government organizations, and academic institutions.
- Present research findings and activities in peer-reviewed literature as well as via conferences and meetings.
Administration and Mentoring
- Supervise and lead staff to achieve success and foster a culture of innovation and high-level performance at both individual and organizational levels. This includes task assignment, scheduling, and ongoing performance management with coaching and feedback, and travel approval.
- Oversee administration of grants including budgeting, reporting, and other principal investigator duties.
- Advise, supervise, and mentor undergraduate and graduate students as time permits.
- Serve on graduate advisory committees as time permits.
- Prepare internal reports, reports to sponsoring agencies, and scientific reports for distribution to stakeholders.
To apply, go to https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board/job-details?jobID=156761&job=vst-asst-research-sci-aquatic-invasive-species-engagement-il-natural-history-survey-pri-156761. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of January 28, 2022.
Missouri is hiring!
Eco-Analysts, Inc., Missouri.
EcoAnalysts, Inc. seeks to hire a Biologist/Aquatic Ecologist to be part of a successful team of aquatic scientists. If you wish to use your knowledge and experience to help people make highly informed decisions regarding the condition and stewardship of our natural resources, then we encourage you to explore the information below and throughout our entire website at www.ecoanalysts.com. In this position, you will be required to assist and lead mussel, fish, and other aquatic projects out of the Missouri office. This position will be hired at a mid- to senior level and will include fieldwork, proposal preparation, project management, field crew supervision, equipment maintenance, data analysis, and report preparation.
Click HERE for all of the pertinent details.
Full job description is HERE.
Wisconsin DNR, Fisheries Team Leader, Sturgeon Bay
For more information, please click on the link below. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Brad Eggold (click for email).
The job announcement for the Wisconsin DNR Fisheries Work Unit Supervisor for Sturgeon Bay is now posted live on Wisc. Jobs for applicants to apply: https://wj.wi.gov/3874
MN DNR has several positions open. If you want to freeze your bum off, consider applying to work in Minnesota.
Minnesota DNR has just posted an opening for Assistant Hatchery Supervisor for the Peterson Hatchery. The State has several other positions to fill, so if you are interested in a DNR position in the near future and are not linked to the state’s job posting site, here is one for the Minnesota DNR.
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Fisheries Biologist located in Lincoln, NE linked below.
Details are all HERE.
Fisheries Biologist II, position #60002533, Fisheries Division in Lincoln, Nebraska is now being advertised on Game and Parks website at http://outdoornebraska.gov/careers/ and on the State of Nebraska jobsite at statejobs.nebraska.gov .